Dear Diary, Miss Brenda isn't Home

Dear Diary,
Today Mrs. Petrosky told me I had big buck teeth for a girl. You can imagine my confusion to this sudden comment about my teeth. First of all, buck's are very massive and dangerous animals. When I lived at Magnolia Manor, this regular customer, Marvin, used to come straight from hunting to see us at the Manor. He always came in wiping the sweat off his brow with a piece of tattered red and black checkered flannel. One day I asked Marvin why he used this torn piece of shirt, I asked, "Marvin why is that shirt so torn, and why do you hang on to it lika ya do?" He told me all the great moments life should be kept with sanctified objects so that you could always remember the greatness you endured." I told him that was nice, but that his piece of flannel smelled quite awful, like a dead animal brought in by the cat and left to rot. Then Marvin told me about how once, a long time ago, when he was hunting, he came across the largest buck he'd ever seen. He drew up his palms along the side of his ears to show the great massiveness of the buck's antlers. His fingers shook as he eyes widened with his mouth and he said, "The largest buck any one man has ever seen, the largest buck any one man has shot," and then he held up his flannel cloth and shook it in his fist, beginning to scream, "And here I have the very shirt I wore, never washed, never lost, the shirt that I wore when I took glory for myself with my old Remington 870." Here he started to sputter and spit with such velocity, that Darcy Lou had to hush him up and lead him to the back rooms.

But no matter, I decided I was tired of the Petrosky's and that what I really wanted was to return to a glorious moment of my own life. I pulled out the card Miss Brenda gave me, I decided this was my sanctimonious object, and went into the Petrosky's living room where the only telephone for the whole house sat atop a mahogany table with a rose carved in the middle of its smooth top. I picked up the black handle, and put my finger into the numbered slots, bringing each number around in a circle so that the numbers chimed like content dragonflies as they were dialed.

The phone rang five times, before a voice came on the phone and after a gruff deep, Hello, asked, "who is this, what do you want." I told him my name, Bellaray, that I only wanted to speak to Miss Brenda cause she was the nicest lady I had ever met and that I really just wanted to come down and probably live with her cause I had no where else to be at the moment, and I thought it'd be mighty nice, why she baking hot Cinnamon roles, and me doing just about whatever she wanted me to--cause that would please me to no end.

The voice wasn't very happy with my answer. He told me, no, I was not welcomed and in fact I should stay away. Then he hung up the phone.

I decided this could only lead to one conclusion, that Miss Brenda was in deep trouble. I figured this to be the case, cause sometimes Auntie Mary Joans called up clients to collect payments, and got a similar deep voice on the phone warning her to keep away. Auntie Mary Joans said that that's just what happened when people gambled away their money and spent it without reason--that then angry people come and take away parts of these gamblers' lives and whatever else they please. But I was worried for Miss Brenda, cause I never knew such a nice lady to have such a nasty habit.

That's why I decided to run away from the Petroskys, and to help Miss Brenda escape from the angry men. Diary, it may not be the best decision of my life, but at least I don't have to feed the chickens tonight.

From a Wendy's Restaurant somewhere between here and Miss Brenda's
Love,
Bellaray Dave

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Who is BELLARAY?


Meet Bellaray Dave. A fictional character who writes in her diary, otherwise known as a blog, about running away from Magnolia Woods Whorehouse in nowhere, Arkansas.


Written and Created by
ANNA LAUREN LEVY
anna-levy@hotmail.com